Hi there.. I’m so happy you are here. Hopefully you landed here because you love cooking, food, and travel as much as I do and you want to learn more about these topics. I’m a self-proclaimed food nerd with a wicked travel addiction, a curious nature, and a relentless urge to discuss food. Warning – I’m no professional chef, but I’ve got mad Googling skills.
What inspired Thetravelingtastebud.com?
2011 was a disaster. All the typical early thirties stuff – a crushing romantic heartbreak, an emergency relocation, a boss with a verbal taser. Hell bent on improving 2012, I visited 15 countries in a combo of work and personal exploration.
I loved to cook, but I wasn’t home to do it, and more honestly – cooking made me feel lonely. I missed cooking. A lot! Overtime, I got over the lonely feeling by cooking with a great friend. I ended 2012 as a well-traveled, fledgeling home cook with more misses than hits. You could always trust me to singe your taste buds with reckless cayenne or to leave you with crunchy cupcakes because I left the egg “whites” in. True story – I was 10.
Enter New Year’s resolutions. I had visited 38 countries in my lifetime (yes, the Vatican counts). I decided to master meals inspired by each and to share those meals with the people I most adore in Austin, TX. Tada… I’m cooking again, deepening friendships, and now documenting my journey. I hope to create a visually-attractive scrapbook for my inner food nerd while also entertaining you through my travel adventures and lighting the way for your own cooking expedition.
I have a few challenges in front of me:
- I could not even cut up a whole chicken in January
- People are my go juice! Cooking for hours or spending hours alone in front of my computer are not the natural places for my extroverted soul.
- No one is legally bound to be my taste tester, so I rely on an amazing set of friends.
- Cultivating a well-equipped kitchen is quite the financial investment (although freezing food is a huge help here)
Why you should let Thetravelingtastebud.com into your kitchen:
- We’ll master some of the tastiest dishes on the planet!
- You will experience the culture through some of my favorite travel pictures and stories.
- I will link to the recipes, videos, and the equipment you’ll need to make this journey your own.
- Occasionally, I will tackle the age-old problem of minimizing food waste through some rather inventive recipes from left-over produce.
- If I get my wish, your cooking experience will be catapulted forward and you will join in the conversation and community. And don’t worry, I won’t hide the misses, so you can laugh at my expense a few times along the way.
What else do I do except for cook and clean dishes?
When I’m not in the kitchen or partaking in the incredible Austin, TX restaurant scene, you will find me evangelizing social business software for a Fortune 50 company, playing endless rounds of soccer with my puppy Ella, running half marathons (ok, one), completing triathlons (notice I included an “l”), and finding ways to save money on non-value add things so that I can overstuff my tiny kitchen.
Grab an apron and lets go!