See the full Spain menu here
Fried jalapeno olives tweaks and cautionary tales
- You could try this with some other seasonings in the bread crumbs.
- Don’t let the oil get too hot.
- Ensure the olives are very dry before breading them or you will have exploding olives.
Nitty-Gritty – Fried jalapeno olives
- Learning Curve: none
- Pre-work: none
- Vegetarian: yes
- Healthy: yes
- Freezes well: doubtful – most fried things don’t freeze well
- 1 glass jar of olives filled with jalpenos (or other filling of your choice)
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup of breadcrumbs, ground into fine crumbs
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- Place the olives in a paper towel, to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Get your breading station ready. Beat the egg in a bowl, add the flour to another bowl and do the same with the breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil or prepare the fryer.
- Take some olives, toss them into the flour bowl and fully coat them with the flour. Then put the olives into the bowl with the egg. Make sure the olives get a nice coating of egg, than move them into the breadcumbs, tossing to make sure you have a nice even coating.
- Put the breaded olives in the hot oil a fry them for about 3 to 5 minutes. Once they are golden brown, remove them with a slotted spoon onto some paper towel.