Tweaks and cautionary tales
I still call this pomelo salad because it’s much better with pomelo. I replaced the pomelo with grapefruit here just based on availability. Be careful with the chillies. They can get very hot. I also kept a little of the coconut and peanuts out so that I could top each of the boats.
- Learning Curve: none
- Pre-work: none
- Vegetarian: yes
- Healthy: Yes
- Freezes well: no – eat it for lunch over the week
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional in my opinion)
- 1 pomelo fruit OR 3 medium grapefruits
- 3 tablespoons coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons dry roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 1 cup mint leaf, chopped
- 2 thai chiles, finely chopped
- bibb lettuce, to serve on
- Mix together the fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar. Stir until sugar is fully dissolved. Set aside.
- Peel the pomelo / grapefruit and separate into segments (helpful link above). Place the fruit in a bowl. Grapefruit has much more juice than pomelo.
- When ready to serve, drain the fruit in a colander, reserving the grapefruit juice (delicious with vodka). Add the coconut, peanuts, shallots, mint, and chiles to the fruit..
- Pour the dressing over and mix well. Adjust taste with lime, salt or sugar.
- Place each serving on a leaf of lettuce and top with a little of the coconut and peanuts.